Home ownership is the foundation of the American dream and a top financial goal for many people. But with the median listing price for homes on the market at just over $250,000, according to Zillow, most homebuyers need to finance their purchase with a mortgage instead of paying cash.
Finding the right mortgage loan is arguably just as important as finding the right property. You’ll be paying off your mortgage for years, and the best terms can save you thousands of dollars over time.
This guide explains how mortgages work, the basics of mortgage fees and the mortgage process, and the different types of loans available. You’ll get an overview of the top mortgage lenders in the United States so you can find the best deal for your loan.
The Best Mortgage Lenders of 2019
- Best for small down payments: Guild Mortgage
- Best for online service: Guaranteed Rate
- Best for USDA loans: Fairway Independent Mortgage
- Best for jumbo loans: USAA
- Best for customer satisfaction: Quicken Loans
- Best for adjustable-rate mortgages: Regions Mortgage
- Best for VA loans: Veterans United Home Loans
- Best for FHA loans: Bank of America
U.S. News conducted an in-depth review of leading direct mortgage lenders. Research was based on program availability, customer satisfaction ratings and qualification requirements. Because each consumer has different needs, the top finishers in several key areas were chosen.